This post was originally posted just a few months ago, in November as we all prepared for World Diabetes Day. As I just started at a new school with new goals, and now that I have an external pump and cgms shouting to the world that I have diabetes, I thought I would repost this because the topic is on my mind.
I was thinking about the “Signs of Diabetes” – things that might trigger people to think, “I wonder if she has diabetes?” or things that when I see other people with them make me wonder if they too are PWD’s like me. I came up with this list:
* Diet Soda – I usually am carrying around one of these babies.
* Huge Purse – Loaded with food and water. Carrying around snacks, water, and various other sustenance is tasking, the abnormally large purse helps.
* gum or mints – my dental hygienist suggested that I keep gum or mints in my purse and indulge in them often in order to help with saliva production and keep my toothers healthy.
* Glasses on my face – OK, ok, TONS of non-diabetics wear glasses, but one of the first things we did after I was diagnosed was visit the eye doctor. That was when I started wearing glasses. I always associate them with D for that reason.
* sugar free cough drops – the very fact that they are sugar-free should be a hint.
* label-checking – incessantly turning food over to read the carb, fiber, protein, fat, and calorie content of the foods I’m taking in – I’m not dieting – I’m diabetic!
* my bookmarked pages – seven of them are Diabetes related
* random electronic devices – pump, monitor, and hopefully eventually a CGMS – I’m so wired. I even use the blackberry (twitter) to access the DOC and help with diabetes management.
* pricked fingers – always have those annoying dark dots on the ends of my fingers.
* bruised tummy – from messed up infusion sets or shots that hit the wrong place – bruised tummy can indicate diabetes care!
* 3 or 4 logs in my purse – I have one for blood sugar, one for food, and one for exercise – I tried combining them into one and it got confusing, so I stuck with three.
* random activity below the table before meals – I’m messing with my meter, pump, or shots!
* “No rice please.” – I always ask to leave off extra carbs I don’t need to be full, such as asking the Chinese restaurants to leave off the rice. They love telling me I’m still paying for it – I know – please still leave it off. I won’t eat it.
These were the ideas I came up with as “signs” of my internal disease. Can you come up with any others?